NEW SITE ANNOUNCEMENT

Welcome! Before you get comfortable - I have moved! Please come over to my new place, Do What You Love http://www.dowhatyouloveforlife.com/

Friday 16 April 2010

The most wonderful piece of bad luck

A volcano erupted in Iceland sending a cloud of volcanic ash across Europe yesterday. You may have heard about it, seen the pictures, thought it bizarre.  As the cloud has filled the airspace, the airports have shut down one after the other and it has left an estimated 600,000 people stranded - including me!   I was in Geneva, supposedly for a day.  But my flight back was cancelled and the earliest I can get home to England is Monday evening on the Eurostar train.  So what is a girl to do but head to Paris for an impromptu weekend of cafes, galleries, wandering and dreaming??  Oh life is hard 

It's quite odd actually as I had been dreaming about going to Paris in the Spring.  Unusually for me I  had no plans this weekend, and I accidentally bought an 'anytime' instead of fixed time return train ticket back from London so even that is still valid when I get back.  I only had my handbag with me, so no laptop = no work, and no clothes = excuse to buy new ones.  Funnily enough what I did have in my handbag were every girl's true travelling essentials: credit card, camera, chocolate, sketchbook and mascara. What more do I need? And an old friend from the US just happens to have also got stranded and is heading here right now.  What a wonderful piece of bad luck. Even ash clouds have a silver lining...

If you also happen to be in Paris or have any tips on must-visit ateliers, flea markets, cafes or stationery shops please do share!

A bientot


More Paris posts here:
Paris je t'adore
Shopping in Paris
Travelling Light
Random acts of generosity

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I want your bad luck!! I love the contents of your purse, you really do have the essentials don't you?! I have not been to Paris in 15 years so I do not have tips for you, though I am sure you will not need them. Have a wonderful time.

    xxoo
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, Enjoy Paris! I think I wrote a post on my blog about what to eat in Paris a few years ago when I visited there. Eat some macarons for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your "bad luck" is most other people's jackpot. Have a wonderful time in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! what luck! enjoy paris... and eager to see photos when you get back to the england. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great piece of "bad luck" for you!

    i've heard of a taxidermy shop called Deyrolle and it's located on 46 rue de Bac, 75007 Paris...i've always wanted to go to that shop if i ever have a chance to see Paris. there's supposed to be an ostrich nearly 9 feet tall in the shop!!!

    can't wait to see where you go and what you see =-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear miss badluck...
    please do tell me that you ate crepes with hazelnut chocolate!
    (even if you didn.t, just tell me you did)
    one
    only one
    of my favorite memories of paris....
    can.t wait for the photos.
    loves to you.
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful stroke of bad luck! I have never been to Paris but it is on my list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just adore the way you turned this situation around. so wonderful and inspiring. thank you!
    you should look up Marissa from creative thursday :) it's a big city, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your chocolatey wishes and great advice. Had the most wonderful time - blog posts and lovely French giveaways to follow this week
    Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this post made me smile. What a wonderful piece of bad luck indeed. Good on you for taking it firmly in hand and recognising a gift when it was given to you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think...

Related Posts with Thumbnails