NEW SITE ANNOUNCEMENT

Welcome! Before you get comfortable - I have moved! Please come over to my new place, Do What You Love http://www.dowhatyouloveforlife.com/

Thursday 25 November 2010

Finally... announcing my new business venture!



Finally, it’s time to share the new venture I have been secretly working on all these months, and I am so excited I might just burst.

But first the story of how it came about…Nearly a year ago, I jumped on a plane and travelled over 5000 miles to California, on my own, to join an art retreat. I remember sitting in my seat as the air stewardess did her demonstration, thinking “What are you doing flying half way round the world… to paint? ARE YOU CRAZY WOMAN?”

It had all started a short while before, when I stumbled across Kelly Rae Roberts’ book Taking Flight, and something in it spoke to me. The bit about listening to the whispers in your heart. You know, the ones that keep nudging you towards a more creative life. I felt like she was talking to me, and I thought “I wish I could meet this woman in person.” I found myself sat at my computer looking at her website and saw that she was teaching at an art retreat in San Jose, and I knew I had to go (although I didn’t even know where exactly San Jose was).

At the time, this was actually quite ridiculous. I was busy, it was going to cost me time and money, and I didn’t know a soul (not to mention having not painted more than three times in the previous year).

I was scared it would be full of people who knew what they were doing, and knew each other, and that I’d be the faker at the back wondering what on earth I was doing. But I booked it anyway, and went.

And it was perhaps the single most important thing I have done for myself in years.

I found a whole new community of incredible women who have since become friends, confidantes and supporters of my creative dreams. I found a deeply hidden love of creating that had been trying to get out for years.

It literally changed everything.

I went home with one message to myself. Do what you love.

And ever since I have been plotting and planning, listening and learning, exploring and dreaming, with this as my mantra.


 Piece by piece I turned my business idea into a business plan and then into a real company. I put everything I have learned out in the corporate world into something for the creative world.  I had some incredible support along the way, from my mentor and from some amazing members of this creative community (you know who you are).  I can never thank them enough. Something about the retreat experience had captivated me. I had seen so many women come alive to their own creativity and talent, and the choices they wanted to make in their lives. And I recognised two things.

Firstly, there was nothing like it in Europe, where ‘art holidays’ tend to be all about learning traditional techniques, rather than the rich and deep creative and emotional experience of the US-style retreat (with all those wonderful American women!)

Secondly, I noticed that the space created by 'retreating' somehow cracked open old trunks of buried dreams about making money from creativity. But there was no way to capture this, build on the ideas, get practical advice from people who had made a success of creative business, and put the wheels in motion to realise those dreams. And so my business was born.

Drum roll please…

The first Do What You Love art and creative enterprise retreat will take place in a stunning luxury venue hidden deep in the English countryside from May 11-15 2011.

As the world’s first retreat to mix indulgent art workshops and business sessions with successful creative entrepreneurs in a luxury venue in an area of outstanding natural beauty, it will be unlike anything else anywhere.

If you join us I can promise it will be a magical experience, and it might just be the most important investment you ever make in yourself and your creative business.

***
Class update:  the retreat's teachers have now been announced!  The line up is: American painter Flora Bowley, British book artist Rachel Hazell and British mixed media artist Priscilla Jones. Which one will you choose?


***

 
This retreat will be cosy and intimate – small enough for everyone to get to know everyone - so places are strictly limited. Registration will formally launch in early January (as part of a new website – so excited!), but if you want to be the first to know about it (and get in on the early bird discount), sign up for the new Do What You Love newsletter (on the right hand side).

I hope you will share this journey with me.



38 comments:

  1. This is GREAT Beth! CONGRATULATIONS! Good for you for following your dreams & doing what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Beth! My best wishes.
    I'm studying hard!
    A big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited Beth. I just so happen to be drinking a glass of bubbly so I'm raising a glass to you for following your dreams and creating what sounds like a wonderful event. I cant wait to be there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is so exciting!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wonderful that you are able to follow your dream. Your commitment and enthusiasm will make it a huge success. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh - this is fantastic! I really think it would be a dream to attend. I think I'm going to be in the US then (I'm an expat usually in Germany). If I knew I'd be in Germany, oh I'd sign up, Beth. Way to goooo!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a working artist in NYC-"doing and believing in what I love", I would love, love, love to be able to experience this artist retreat!
    Congratulations on your continued success :)
    emily
    www.emk-art.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds absolutely amazing Beth. I can't believe how far you've come this year on following your dreams, and I'm so proud of you.

    I can't wait to hear more about it, including who you have teaching. If it's Flora Bowley you may very well tip me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, this is so exciting! And an art retreat in this country too. Ever since I discovered Kelly Rae Robert's book, last March, I've been looking on and dreaming about those retreats in the States. I think it's fantastic that you're going to be creating something just as special and amazing over here.
    Just hope I'll be able to join you on the retreat now.
    Bright Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Utterly brilliant! Shoot for the stars girl. V excited for you & proud of you too. Bubbles on me next time you're in The Smoke. Btw it's both Cockpit Arts & Made in Clerkenwell open studios this w/e - you should definitely connect with & advertise the retreat there. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Beth! This is so exciting!

    Best wishes,
    Stephanie (fellow Flyer)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth !!! I am SO SO SO excited for you - huge congratulations on getting to this day ... wow .. wish we could be there to drink a huge toast to you but we'll just do that from across the seas.
    x
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Beth,

    You continue to inspire me to go big or go home!!! You are living proof that a heart can lead a very happy and successful life. You GO Beth Nicholls! You are starting a wonderful new chapter in your life and I am so happy to be able to watch it unfold and cheer you on!
    Congratulations!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. i LOVE hearing your story! what am amazing experience + so lovely that you can pass it along to others :)

    congratulations!!!!
    -juliette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes on this wonderful journey. Dreams can come true!

    ReplyDelete
  16. aha!! I am very glad that SOMEONE is doing this miss Beth. Best of luck to you indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great and sincere post. Wishing you all the best with the big 'project'!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhh Beth I am soo excited for you! I know it will be a success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, Beth!!! This sounds fantastic! I continue to be in awe of your courage to follow your inner voice. As a matter of fact, I got teary reading your post. I wish you all the best.
    xo
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Beth! What an incredible journey and wonderful idea to spread your experience. So happy for you. Lovely inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! This is incredibly exciting. I've been dreams of an opportunity to go over to the States to indulge on one of the Art Retreats Kelly mentioned in both her book & during Flying Lessons. Such an awesome venture in the UK would be truly awe-inspiring and much needed too. Thank you so much for responding to the calling of your heart & soul - for it is the cry of many!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations and best of luck. This sounds like a very special art retreat! Thanks for sharing the story of how it came to be!

    ReplyDelete
  23. sounds like it will be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so exciting! Good luck and I look forward to hearing details:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, so excited. I know a lot of people who would love that!
    Maybe we can all come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a great news for everyone, I'm definitely signing up for the news letter in anticipation of further news on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much everyone for your shared excitement and support. I just know the first retreat is going to be particularly special, and I hope some of you will be able to come to this beautiful place and share the magic.

    I was particularly moved by Sonya's story about how and why she is dreaming of joining us - just amazing: http://sonyamacdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/11/from-attic-2-wall.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joss has sent me your details because she thinks you might be right up my street.... and she's so right. Unfortunately I'll be about 8 1/2 months pregnant then so probably not wise.... but I will be reading and watching with interest and look forward to next years!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my gosh...what a fantastic piece of news Beth. I am so happy for you and my head is spinning with ???? about whether I can make this happen for myself?????

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh this is great-Congratulations! Please put me on your email list and when you are ready I will blog about your classes.
    xop

    ReplyDelete
  31. oops, forgot to give you my email
    paulajstudio@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Big dreams + hope = a wonder-filled life!

    I attended a art retrea in Lake Tahoe this past year, it was amazing and I made life long friends.

    I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just now catching up on blogs and I wanted to congratulate you on this fabulous new venture! IT sounds absolutely amazing and I know it will be positively MAGICAL =-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG!! Beth. This is great and I am so happy for you. You are so lucky to not only find this "in" you but to also bring it "out" of you. I wish I was as brave as you. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds for you and everyone else. I will be watching...

    ReplyDelete
  35. How exciting! Congratulations on going for what you love and good luck on this new venture. I can't wait for the particulars!

    ReplyDelete
  36. OH BETH!!!
    i remember talking of this very thing my dear. how proud i am of you for DOING WHAT YOU LOVE! you have already touched so many lives with your creative mind and i am holding my breath to just see what happiness you continue to bring to women.
    i wish SOOOOO bad i could venture over to england and partake of this as i KNOW it will be all sorts of WONDERFUL.
    some day.
    it is now on my "list".
    loves to you
    BRAVE GIRL
    xo
    c

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey Betty

    Great work on this, I would love to support you in any way I can. I am not artistic so no help there, but I can build websites so if you need me to build or advise on your online adventures please give me a shout.

    If I ever build you a website I will expect you to buy me a beer in return.

    safe trip back from the bid

    x

    ReplyDelete
  38. A magical experience? That sounds amazing! Your service must've brought satisfaction to people already. Good thing you've been keeping what you have been learning from the corporate world. Owning a business isn't that easy. But one can handle it, especially if he or she enjoys what he or she does.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what you think...

Related Posts with Thumbnails